Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lucky and Alive in New Orleans

1:40 p.m. I just drove around Mid-City, Gentilly, Bywater, French Quarter, and Marigny neighborhoods. Tattered flags hung in shreds. All National Guard and NOPD ignored me or waved back when I waved for them to go through intersections. All NOPD cars have their lights on. The overhand blew off the Shell gas station on Paris and St. Bernard. There is definitely no water at all river side of St. Claude, and while I didn't cross Saint Claude, I didn't see any flooding over there. Places that I saw that were open:
  • Cafe Flora
  • Mardi Gras Zone (called "Money Grab Zone" by local girl)
  • The Abbey
  • Molly's at the Market
  • The Lambda Center (2:00 was spray painted on the plywood)

I heard on the radio that The Maple Leaf is open w/ a generator and tons of Budweiser.

Disturbing local madman Michael Gladfelter (a.k.a. CIA Mike) was sighted stumbling down Royal Street in a disheveled condition. He said he had just woken up at The Country Club and that I'd better watch myself. He kicked a tarp. This man is dangerous and paranoid and should be avoided at all costs. That was the only suspicious activity I saw.

Some NOPD have taken my press pass seriously, and some haven't. I've been carrying a camcorder to look legitimate, but for the most part, nobody cares that I'm here. I am going to ask around (guard, NOPD if they seem approachable) about coming in with Press Passes.

A handful of people are wandering around the Marigny/Bywater/Quarter.

I've seen a few trees down in Gentilly, but luckily, they all fell into the road instead of on houses.

Anyone with questions about specific properties/addresses/streets should post them here, but really, it looks like things are very okay, except for the tattered flags hanging in shreds in the F.Q.

I saw a lot of city vehicles out and the SPCA was driving around in Gentilly.

1 comment:

jenny jams said...

how bout kentucky street (one block east and parallel to poland) between st claude and claiborne bridges?